Does your kitchen have spaces resembling a black hole, somewhere deep in the recesses of your kitchen cabinets? This phenomenon usually occurs in awkward, hard to reach places in your kitchen such as corner cabinets, deep pantry shelves, or narrow spaces next to your cooking area. These “dead spaces” in your kitchen storage seem to swallow up your kitchen tools and cooking supplies. There is a solution! A well thought out kitchen design can turn these otherwise inaccessible places into valuable hidden treasures in your kitchen storage.
Specialized kitchen cabinets designed to fit corner cabinets or other difficult spaces can help you reclaim these unusable or disorganized places and eliminate wasted space in your kitchen design. There are a number of ways you can achieve this, depending on available space and your individual needs. The best way to get started is by considering your own requirements and then discussing them with your kitchen design professional to see which options are best for you. The benefit of a custom designed kitchen is you can specify exactly what you want to get the most out of your kitchen renovation.
Here are a few of the options for tackling those awkward spaces in your kitchen design:
- Corner cabinets can be made into a treasure trove of storage space by adding a turntable, swing out shelves, or a “magic corner” kitchen cabinet with specialized pull out storage, like this one.
- You could even include customized Corner Pie Cut Drawers designed to fit this angled space, like this one.
- Vertical shelves are ideal for baking trays and can fit into narrow spaces that would otherwise go unutilized.
- Roll-out shelves or sliding drawers, particularly if they have specialized inserts to organize specific items in your kitchen, ensure that you can see and access everything from front to back. These can be designed to fit every available space in your kitchen and to accommodate every kitchen tool you use. This special drawer for pots and pans was added below the oven to ensure well-organized ready access to cooking supplies.
- A specialized pantry cabinet leaves all of your essentials at your fingertips rather than having to use a flashlight and a long reach to find the toasted sesame oil or the last can of chickpeas.
- Customized spice storage ensures your kitchen does not get cluttered with small spice jars, as we covered in a previous blog. Here is another great option for spice storage that uses an otherwise dead space next to your cooking area, and leaves the spices close to hand for creating a culinary masterpiece.
You could even include a special pop up shelf for your KitchenAid mixer so you never have to go looking for it again and have a ready-made surface on which to use it, like the one picture here!
Once you have set out your individual requirements, your kitchen design expert can identify the storage solutions that work for you. Visit our kitchen design gallery here for more unique storage solution ideas.